In the Name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
‘By the end of 2003, there were an estimated 143 million orphans aged 0-17 in 93 developing countries’ (UNICEF, 2004). More than 16 million children were orphaned in 2003 alone. Due to recent events such as wars, tsunami, earthquakes, etc these numbers have no where to go but up.
In 2003, the Orphan Sponsorship Program was launched, aiming to bring awareness to the situation of orphans around the world and fundraise to sponsor orphans, trying to do what we can in the hopes of giving these kids a better life & future. The orphans are sponsored through Govt. of Canada registered charities and the donation covers education, health, food, shelter and other basic necessities for the orphans.
Since then, our efforts have simply been blessed
– Accumulatively, for the 4 years of OSP’s existence we’ve fundraised over $144,000!
– This has enabled us to sponsor 100 orphans from 17 countries, spanning 4 continents (for a full list of countries see below)
Our success is truly a blessing, but now the challenge is even greater as we require around $44,000 to re-sponsor all 100 children for another year BUT with your help, we can do this Insha’Allah!
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “I and the person who looks after an orphan and provides for him, will be in Paradise like this,” putting his index and middle fingers together. [Sahih Al- Bukhari, Volume 8, Book 73, Number 34]
So please help out and make a difference in the life of an orphan!
Countries we’re sponsoring from and how much it costs to sponsor an orphan for a year:
(the differences are due to the differences in the cost of living in different countries)
It costs $360/year to sponsor an orphan from: Afghanistan, Kashmir, Bangladesh, Somalia, Sudan, Pakistan, India, Kenya, Sri Lanka, Sierra Leone, Guyana, Kosovo, & Indonesia.
It costs $720/year to sponsor an orphan from: Palestine, Lebanon, & Bosnia.
It costs $420/year to sponsor an orphan from: Egypt & Burkina Faso.
**Our list of sponsorship countries has increased** … For full list of sponsorship countries, further detailed information about ways to donate, how much it costs to sponsor an orphan for a year, and donor opportunities Click Here
Donate any amount that you can. Donations can be in the form of cash, cheques or online (click here)
Please make your cheques payable & addressed to:
Orphan Sponsorship Program
c/o MSA, University of Toronto, St. George campus
21 Sussex Avenue, Suite 505
Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1J6
Note: Tax receipts will be issued upon request
For further information, to help out and/or donate
- Donations to the OSP via PayPal are only sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and no one else.
- Cheques should only be sent to our Sussex office address above.
- Only correspond with OSP executive committee members on the OSP Committee List on this site and no one else.
– Sponsor a child either on their own or form a group with friends/family members and accumulatively sponsoring the orphan(s) on an annual basis.
– Receive tax receipts for their donations (upon request).
– Be assigned an orphan, receive their profile and then annually be updated on the child’s progress.
– Donors who are assigned an orphan can also keep in touch with child by sending them letters, greetings cards, etc, to them.
-Arrangements can be made via the registered charity to visit and meet the orphan (or the orphanage/regional office in general) Note: The individual donor must bear the expense of his/her trip to visit the orphan.
-Any donor (even those who do not wish to be assigned to a particular child) is welcome to view profiles and updates on all the orphan children that OSP are sponsoring.
– Be a part of the OSP, by becoming a volunteer, join the OSP annual committee and/or by simply spreading the word to family, co-workers and friends. We need to re-sponsor 100 (and Insha’Allah more) orphans, so we need all help that we can get!
Jazakum Allahu Khairan (May God reward you for your efforts)